Monday, July 9, 2012

OLD IS GOLD...

Why do we love songs from our teenage and youthful days? Even if the world has better songs and bands, and whole lot of known and unknown options today???

I know now….

Its not just the lyrics, the melody or the movie nor the concert that you had been to, that makes them special. Its not even the number of times you listened to those songs, at a time when we had the liberty of being pretty jobless..Its not that we are too busy juggling with life's responsibilities, that makes the songs of today probably less appealing than the songs of ten to fifteen years back.

It’s the whole lot of memories attached to each of those songs that make it special for us, even today. I know it sounds stupid. But it is..am sure it’s the same for most of us…

Yesterday, on my way back from work, the radio was ablast with songs like mein pareshaan…..pareshaannn and rowdy rathore and many more, which at any day would boost my tired spirits. And then out of nowhere, the title track of Kal ho na ho played..and there….Time just stopped still….i was reliving some olden days. In fact to think about the song, all I did while watching the movie was cry bucketful of tears, but yes, those were the days of college, getting into crowded buses, waiting for long queues without complaints.., blast the music on weekends, dance in our hostel corridors…

Listening to those songs during a sleepless night on a bus from Bangalore to Calicut, meeting friends at coffee day, while our favorite music played in the background….the music that played in our friends car, the songs that were dedicated to our first crush……the 'numb' song that was perfect when i was at my feistiest....for me the list just goes on and on.

And when I listen to the infamous 'Hotel California'…it takes me back to a pink background with the picture of a satan and the title ‘Hell freezes over’, much to the utter dislike of my mother…That was my first rock album…gifted on my birthday by a friend who was dismayed at me drooling over the boybands of those times…

Although the satan did have an effect on me, as I moved from pop genre to Aerosmiths and Metallica’ and the Floyds….the boyzone, savage garden and the backstreet boys still don’t fail to bring back a smile even today…and I’m surprised I still remember the words as I sing along with the track…. And I still carry all those cds and gifts with me, wherever I go, from kerala to Bangalore, to Chennai and to dubai…

I don’t listen to them, except for the occasional reminder of them from radio stations that I plug in to. But I’m happy I have them with me….I took pains to get hold of every single album in those times…and to even think of the number of times I would arranged and rearranged folders and wrote them into CD’s, to walk all the way to my grandparents place to watch MTV most wanted and Channel V’s Billboard toppers….

Now all you need is a click, and every song from any part of the world falls right into your palm, into your ipad or iphone in milli seconds. Am sure The Jonas brothers and the GAGAs and Minaj's, Kanye's and Labrinths are good, but I don’t think I would have any memory that would get attached with the song….they would just remain as good songs and videos.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So true! Well written!

Shruthi Joseph said...

Thank you Nevin Alex Chacko