Tuesday, November 30, 2010

And…Connect And….Network….!!

The world took a huge twist with Social Networking…Although there were lot of social networks before, Orkut being my first, along with others like Hi5 and a lot more that my ‘grey matter’ just cannot commit to, but then Facebook took the trophy for social Networking

I was just getting used to Orkut and the gadgets along with it, and then came Facebook. I decided to stick with my first one (in management terms called as ‘resistance to change’), but then Facebook just started to breed and became this next big thing…Not having an FB profile was considered out of the crowd, Not part of the digital age….

And then I entered the new world of so called ‘FB’. I was already late. Millions of messages were passing around thru the ‘Walls’, photos and events….i did a marathon in order to connect with all my friends and acquaintance spaces…caught me breath and then updated ‘here was I’…..’me tooo’!

I am sure phone bills would have had a nasty downfall, with all Telecom companies cursing the new baby-Facebook. We found our lost friends, found our abode where we could write what we wanted, express our fears, joys and sorrows, take a public poll on our recent hairstyle and DSLR Cameras, update our status with even a mere monologue. We had all the happening news at a flash- someone getting married here, someone’s baby shower, somebody’s office grumbling, and someone else’s elephant trip in Kenya

Suddenly, everything was known to everyone. Even an acquaintance in School was your friend, wishing you on your birthday, your enemies or your competitor were screaming loud that they just hit a promotion and that you were nothing!!

Every ‘click on FB’ just made Zuckerberg a zillionaire even after sorting out all his legal bills. One of the reasons why Zuckerberg created Facebook was to take revenge on his ex- girlfriend, to prove to her that he was not just another geek in Harvard (No offense to you Zuckerberg, I am just referencing the movie ‘Social network’).

My explanation to use Facebook was to be part of the new age, and not be pulled back into the ‘old gen’ types. But all that it has done is to increase my medical bills (extensive use of laptop- head ache, eye issues, irregular body balance), immense stress due to the constant updates that I see around which makes me wonder if I was living my life to the fullest…and less productivity. I fact there’s a recent poll that says FB is used more during the weekdays than the weekends…that explains the productivity

Now, just because I don’t bullet down the advantages doesn’t mean that’s FB is ‘EVIL’. I still have an ID, active throughout the day, with 600 plus friends, pics and status updates, but on a comparative scale with lesser updates (this is already givin me a headache). I still would keep the id…in fact habits rarely go away…..until somethings replaces it in this digital race!

Unlucky are those who don’t have it…but lucky are those who don’t feel the need for it!!

1 comment:

survivingbrain said...

Well.. I had an orkut, and a Fabebook profile.

I successfully deleted orkut in march, and facebook just dont get deleted. So the face book profile is still there, but i do not use it at all.

I dont miss it at all. In fact, not using them made me less stressful. I feel better , lot better not using them.

Next on the list, is mobile phone. I have successfully reduced my talk time to half, and realised that nothing will happen at all if you dont pick calls at all. Life becomes simple, and less complicated.