Monday, March 5, 2007

Valentine’s Day 2007

Legend has it that the holiday ‘Lupercalia’ became ‘Valentine's Day’ after a priest named Valentine. Valentine was a priest in Rome at the time Christianity was a new religion. The Emperor at that time, Claudius II, ordered the Roman soldiers NOT to marry or become engaged. Claudius believed that as married men, his soldiers would want to stay home with their families rather than fight his wars (That’s funny, though true, and apt). Valentine defied the Emperor's decree and secretly married the young couples. He was eventually arrested, imprisoned, and put to death

Valentine was beheaded on February 14th, the eve of the Roman holiday Lupercalia. After his death, Valentine was named a saint. As Rome became more Christian centric, the priests moved the spring holiday from the 15th of February to the 14th - Valentine's Day.

And the world honors the day for the lovers.

I could never, nor can ever understand the Valentine’s Day. But throughout the years, I have been a keen observer of the kinda stuff that ensue around me, and believe me; it’s far from the word called ‘romance’. In fact, amusing would be the perfect word.

Some of the features that I could note were:

- Highest revenue day for florists and Archies Gallery.
- Big bang at dance pubs, garment centres and beauty salons
- Big budget, sloppy, love stories in cinemas
- Huge weight losses for guys, as their pockets reach the minimum balance
- Guys and girls in their best mood and attire
- Red, red, and red everywhere- Wonder what people get by wearing red. I still remember the leaflets that adorned our canteen notice boards the day before Valentine’s, about different colors signifying your love status- Red for committed (temporary commitment), Blue for ‘available’, Yellow for friendship, Orange for flirtatious, and what not.

Initially, as a kiddo, I used to be upset at the amount of gifts that my friends used to get on Valentines Day. The cards, the gifts, the bouquets, the phone calls, the teddy bears, oooph!! I used to dream about the day when I would be flooded with gifts and cards and the numerous calls filled with words of love and commitment. I used to admire my friends who told me that they could not think of another man in their lives, and adored them for the commitment at such a young age. Years later, I realize that after many more unsuccessful affairs, the same friend has married a different person, and living happily in some corner of the world. What happened to the love that they thought was the ‘true love’?? The commitment?? Who got hurt?? Was it just a time pass??

Now when I go backs to those days, I’m happy that things didn’t work as I had wanted. I didn’t want to go through all that hurt, and the sloppy emotions of a teenager. But I’m happy for all that’s happened around me, its changed me, educated me, about the world, the beauty of love, and the hurt and pride that it brings along. Who said that we have to make all the mistakes and then learn from it?? I learnt about, love, respect and hate from the mistakes of others as well.

I do respect the day…, St. Valentine…., and all who celebrate it with the same passion as St. Valentine, especially the cuter ones who manage to push back all their work and rush home to be with their sweethearts. Three cheers for true lovers!!!

This year, as I was in office the whole day, I couldn’t observe much. Was restless as usual, as I was just wondering what would happen outside my IT world. The morning papers were filled with love quizzes, love calculators and tips for making Valentines Day special. But even the busy world of ITPL had red colors running around, and a small function by Anousha (Channel V Pop stars). Had to leave earl from office, as we had managed to get free tickets for Music and lyrics. The movie and dinner afterwards with my friends were the only ‘attractions’ for the day. Not to mention, the bouquets and the blushes and smooches around me in FORUM!!!

Where will be for the next Valentine’s??
Will I be with my Valentine??
Or will i be still looking at the other valentinos around me??

Am I desperate for one??
Nay… but I long for someone who would take some time for me
And jus be mine,
As I become the only priority,
And the others take a second place

Roses will still be red; dinner would still be incomplete without champagne,
But all I that I would look for is TIME and SPACE,
And the deep longing and understanding in his eyes.

Where are you??
Will you find me? Or will I find you??
Have we met?? Or are we waiting for the special day??
Wherever you are, each Valentine’s is celebrated with this same hope
That some day, I will find you.
And smile at the world like never before

(Kindly excuse the poetical incompetence, as this was written in about ten minutes)

5 comments:

survivingbrain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well, you write well for someone in Banking...
A shade more confidence, and you'd be perfect!

Om said...

The colour and design of your blog is quite mystic! It reminds of the evening colours and of the light from lanterns!!
Haven't been able to read the blog completely but aesthetically its a treat for me

Om said...

reminds me*

fobsie said...

you got a nice blog going